City of Ishpeming
Volunteer Fire Department
100 South Lake St.
Ishpeming, Michigan 49849
Emergency Dial 911
SENIOR CITIZEN FIRE SAFETY GENERAL TIPS
- Every residence should have at least two working smoke detectors. A smoke detector should be placed on each level of the house and outside each sleeping area. Once smoke detectors are installed they should be tested monthly (Use a stick or broom handle to test detectors that are out of reach.) and their batteries should be changed at least once a year or sooner if a chirping sound indicates low power.
- Develop and practice a fire escape plan with two ways out of every room.
- Always keep glasses, a telephone and walking aids close to your bed.
- Never open a door that is hot to the touch, use your alternate exit.
- If you must escape through smoke, crawl low where it’s easier to breathe. If you are not on the ground floor always use the stairs, don’t use an elevator.
- If your clothing catches fire STOP, DROP, AND ROLL.
Help the Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department respond to emergencies quickly and safely by installing the KNOX-BOX Rapid Entry System. It pays for itself the first time used.