Mark Slown, City Manager
Cathy Smith, Assistant to the City Manager
Phone: (906) 485-1091, ext. 203
Fax: (906) 485-6246
100 E. Division Street
Ishpeming, MI 49849
As provided by the Charter, the City of Ishpeming has a Council-Manager Government. Under this form of Government, the powers of the City are vested in the Council (elected members at large) which enacts local legislation, adopts budgets, determines policies, and appoints the City Manager. The City Manager administers the government of the City.
CITY MANAGER-GENERAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
- Implements laws and provisions of the Charter and resolutions of the Council.
- Enforce all City contracts and franchises, works and undertakings
- Supervise all public utilities and improvements
- Attend all meetings of the City Council
- Prepare, submit and administer an annual budget and keep the Council fully informed as to the financial condition and needs of the City
- Purchase supplies and insurance for the City and approve vouchers for payment
- Conduct all sales of personal property which the Council may authorize to be sold as having become unnecessary or unfit for City use
- Recommend to the Council for adoption, such measures as the Manager may deem necessary
- Be a member ex-officio of all commissions and boards of the City
- Be responsible to the Council for the efficient administration of all City departments and utilities
- The Manager shall assume all the duties and responsibilities as personnel director to all City employees or delegate such duties to some other officer or employee of the City, provided that such delegation shall not relieve the Manager of any responsibility for the proper conduct of such duties.
- Perform other duties as the Council may direct that naturally pertain to the general management of the City