FOR EMERGENCIES DIAL 911
City of Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department
100 South Lake St.
Ishpeming, Michigan 49849
Volunteer Firefighters are always needed
Volunteer Firefighters are often needed in the city of Ishpeming. We operate out of one station located in downtown Ishpeming. We protect 6,500 of our residents and respond to a variety of emergencies day and night.
If you have ever wondered about becoming a Volunteer Firefighter and have some extra time to devote to your community, this is a great opportunity. You’ll become a part of a new family and serve your community as well.
You are not required to possess any firefighting or emergency response experience or certifications in order to apply for employment as a Volunteer Firefighter. However, all persons applying for employment must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED certificate
- Must hold a valid Michigan driver’s license (or have the ability to obtain one prior to acceptance)
- Must pass all background checks.
- Must obtain Firefighter 1 & 2 State of Michigan certification within 2 years of hire.
The Volunteer Application Process consists of the following:
- Submit application for employment as a Volunteer Firefighter, applications can be picked up or downloaded here: City of Ishpeming Employment Application
- Undergo an Oral Interview
- Submit to Criminal Background Check
- Undergo Drug Screening
- Undergo Medical Physical Exam
The city of Ishpeming Fire Department is always looking for new Firefighters. New volunteer Firefighters attend approximately 150 hours of training starting in January, finishing up in June. You must pass the State of Michigan Firefighter 1 & 2 written and practical testing to continue employment with the city as a Volunteer Firefighter within two years of hire.
If you have questions or would like clarification about any part of the Volunteer Firefighter application process, please call the Ishpeming Fire Department at (906)486-4426 and speak with the Fire Chief.