Freedom of Information Act
Michigan’s Freedom of Information Act (Public Act 442 of 1976) guarantees citizens the right of access to most public documents. FOIA regulates and sets requirements for the disclosure of public records by all public bodies in the State, including the City of Ishpeming.
It is the public policy of this state that all persons (except those persons incarcerated in state or local correctional facilities) are entitled to full and complete information regarding the affairs of government and the official acts of those who represent them as public officials and public employees.
To remain consistent with the Michigan Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the following documents include the Written Public Summary of the City’s FOIA Procedures relevant to the general public, the request for public records, an appeal form for the denial of records, and an appeal form for an excess fee.
- City of Ishpeming FOIA Procedures and Guidelines (219.9 KiB)
- City of Ishpeming Request For Public Records Form (1.2 MiB)
- Appeal Form For Denial Of Records (1.2 MiB)
- Appeal Form for An Excess Fee (1.2 MiB)
- Affidavit Of Indigence Form (291.3 KiB)
The Ishpeming City Council adopted its current FOIA Policy #404 on June 3, 2015.
Requests may be submitted:
- In person or by mail: City Manager’s Office, Ishpeming City Hall, 100 E. Division Street, Ishpeming, MI 49849
- Fax: (906)485-6246
- To ensure a prompt response, faxed requests should contain the term “FOIA” or “FOIA Request” on the first/cover page.
- Email: email@example.com
- To ensure a prompt response, email requests should contain the term “FOIA” or “FOIA Request” in the subject line.