Ishpeming City Hall
100 E. Division Street
Phone: (906) 485-1091
City Attorney General Functions and Duties
- Shall be a member of the State Bar of Michigan, and licensed to practice in the State of Michigan.
- Shall act as legal advisor to the Council, and all its members, and attorney and counsel for the municipality and all its officers in matters relating to their official duties. The City Attorney shall give written opinions to any official or department of the City when requested in writing by the Council or Manager and shall file a copy of the same with the City Clerk.
- The City Attorney shall be charged with the responsibility of calling to the attention of the Council and the City Manager all matters of law and changes or developments therein affecting the City.
- Upon the recommendation of the City Attorney, or upon its own motion, the Council may retain special legal counsel to handle any matters to which the City is a party, or in which the City has an interest and to assist and counsel with the City Attorney therein.
- In all matters of litigation in which an insurance carrier, risk management group, or self-insured fund has retained an attorney to represent the City pursuant to the terms of a contract, the City Attorney shall be, and shall remain an attorney of record for the City during the course of the litigation.
- The City Attorney shall perform such other legal duties as may be prescribed by this Charter or by the Council.
- The City Attorney shall appoint, subject to the approval of the Council, a substitute attorney, having the qualifications of the City Attorney. the substitute attorney may act in the place of the City Attorney during that officer’s absence. Compensation of the substitute attorney for work performed and any adjustments to the City Attorney retainer shall be determined by the Council.